Report on Etna (Italy) — 8 January-14 January 2003
Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 8 January-14 January 2003
Managing Editor: Gari Mayberry
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 2003. Report on Etna (Italy). In: Mayberry, G (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 8 January-14 January 2003. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.
37.748°N, 14.999°E; summit elev. 3295 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
According to the Etna Volcan Sicilien website, a reduction in explosive activity at the 2,750-m pyroclastic cone on the upper S flank of the volcano occurred for about a week until 10 January. On the 10th explosions occurred every few seconds, sending volcanic material several meters high that fell within the cone. Lava flows from the cone traveled towards the S.
Geologic Background. Mount Etna, towering above Catania, Sicily's second largest city, has one of the world's longest documented records of historical volcanism, dating back to 1500 BCE. Historical lava flows of basaltic composition cover much of the surface of this massive volcano, whose edifice is the highest and most voluminous in Italy. The Mongibello stratovolcano, truncated by several small calderas, was constructed during the late Pleistocene and Holocene over an older shield volcano. The most prominent morphological feature of Etna is the Valle del Bove, a 5 x 10 km horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the east. Two styles of eruptive activity typically occur, sometimes simultaneously. Persistent explosive eruptions, sometimes with minor lava emissions, take place from one or more summit craters. Flank vents, typically with higher effusion rates, are less frequently active and originate from fissures that open progressively downward from near the summit (usually accompanied by Strombolian eruptions at the upper end). Cinder cones are commonly constructed over the vents of lower-flank lava flows. Lava flows extend to the foot of the volcano on all sides and have reached the sea over a broad area on the SE flank.