Logo link to homepage

Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador) — 9 November-15 November 2005

Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 9 November-15 November 2005
Managing Editor: Gari Mayberry

Please cite this report as:

Global Volcanism Program, 2005. Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador). In: Mayberry, G (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 9 November-15 November 2005. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.

Volcano Profile |  Weekly Report (9 November-15 November 2005)


Tungurahua

Ecuador

1.467°S, 78.442°W; summit elev. 5023 m

All times are local (unless otherwise noted)


During 9-14 November, volcanic activity at Tungurahua remained at low levels as it has since mid-February 2005. There were small emissions of steam and gas with low ash content. During the evening of 13 November lahars traveled down the volcano's W flank, leading to the temporary closure of the Baños -Riobamba highway. On 14 November, a steam emission with little ash reached a height of ~500 m above the volcano's summit (or 18,100 ft a.s.l.).

Geologic Background. Tungurahua, a steep-sided andesitic-dacitic stratovolcano that towers more than 3 km above its northern base, is one of Ecuador's most active volcanoes. Three major edifices have been sequentially constructed since the mid-Pleistocene over a basement of metamorphic rocks. Tungurahua II was built within the past 14,000 years following the collapse of the initial edifice. Tungurahua II itself collapsed about 3000 years ago and produced a large debris-avalanche deposit and a horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the west, inside which the modern glacier-capped stratovolcano (Tungurahua III) was constructed. Historical eruptions have all originated from the summit crater, accompanied by strong explosions and sometimes by pyroclastic flows and lava flows that reached populated areas at the volcano's base. Prior to a long-term eruption beginning in 1999 that caused the temporary evacuation of the city of Baños at the foot of the volcano, the last major eruption had occurred from 1916 to 1918, although minor activity continued until 1925.

Source: Instituto Geofísico-Escuela Politécnica Nacional (IG)