Logo link to homepage

Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador) — 1 August-7 August 2012

Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 1 August-7 August 2012
Managing Editor: Sally Kuhn Sennert

Please cite this report as:

Global Volcanism Program, 2012. Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador). In: Sennert, S K (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 1 August-7 August 2012. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.

Volcano Profile |  Weekly Report (1 August-7 August 2012)


Tungurahua

Ecuador

1.467°S, 78.442°W; summit elev. 5023 m

All times are local (unless otherwise noted)


IG reported that during 1-5 August visual observations of Tungurahua were limited due to cloud cover. A small steam plume rose from the crater on 3 August and drifted W. Explosions on 5 August vibrated windows in nearby areas and produced sounds resembling gunshots. A plume rose 3 km above the crater and drifted W. Explosions during 5-6 August produced gas plumes with small amounts of ash that drifted WSW. Steam plumes rose 100 m above the crater the next day.

Geologic Background. Tungurahua, a steep-sided andesitic-dacitic stratovolcano that towers more than 3 km above its northern base, is one of Ecuador's most active volcanoes. Three major edifices have been sequentially constructed since the mid-Pleistocene over a basement of metamorphic rocks. Tungurahua II was built within the past 14,000 years following the collapse of the initial edifice. Tungurahua II itself collapsed about 3000 years ago and produced a large debris-avalanche deposit and a horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the west, inside which the modern glacier-capped stratovolcano (Tungurahua III) was constructed. Historical eruptions have all originated from the summit crater, accompanied by strong explosions and sometimes by pyroclastic flows and lava flows that reached populated areas at the volcano's base. Prior to a long-term eruption beginning in 1999 that caused the temporary evacuation of the city of Baños at the foot of the volcano, the last major eruption had occurred from 1916 to 1918, although minor activity continued until 1925.

Source: Instituto Geofísico-Escuela Politécnica Nacional (IG)