Logo link to homepage

Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador) — 23 July-29 July 2014

Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 23 July-29 July 2014
Managing Editor: Sally Kuhn Sennert

Please cite this report as:

Global Volcanism Program, 2014. Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador). In: Sennert, S K (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 23 July-29 July 2014. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.

Volcano Profile |  Weekly Report (23 July-29 July 2014)


Tungurahua

Ecuador

1.467°S, 78.442°W; summit elev. 5023 m

All times are local (unless otherwise noted)


During 23-27 July IG reported that Tungurahua had low levels of seismicity and cloudy conditions with small steam columns observed on 26 July. On 28 July the IG reported an increase in seismic activity and a small explosion with an ash plume that rose 1 km above the crater that moved NW. Ashfall was reported in the Chontapamba area. On 29 July seismicity was moderate and clouds obscured views of the volcano.

Geologic Background. Tungurahua, a steep-sided andesitic-dacitic stratovolcano that towers more than 3 km above its northern base, is one of Ecuador's most active volcanoes. Three major edifices have been sequentially constructed since the mid-Pleistocene over a basement of metamorphic rocks. Tungurahua II was built within the past 14,000 years following the collapse of the initial edifice. Tungurahua II itself collapsed about 3000 years ago and produced a large debris-avalanche deposit and a horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the west, inside which the modern glacier-capped stratovolcano (Tungurahua III) was constructed. Historical eruptions have all originated from the summit crater, accompanied by strong explosions and sometimes by pyroclastic flows and lava flows that reached populated areas at the volcano's base. Prior to a long-term eruption beginning in 1999 that caused the temporary evacuation of the city of Baños at the foot of the volcano, the last major eruption had occurred from 1916 to 1918, although minor activity continued until 1925.

Source: Instituto Geofísico-Escuela Politécnica Nacional (IG)