Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-03756
A villager inspects the roof of a house in the village of Parícutin destroyed by heavy ashfall in the first year of the eruption. The village that gave the volcano its name was located only 3 km NW of the new volcano. Ashfall was particularly intense during the eruption's second to fifth months, and the town's 733 residents were forced to evacuate four months after the eruption began. The Mexican government provided new lands in Caltzontzín, 27 km to the SE.
Photo by Frederick Pough, 1943 (American Museum of Natural History).