Report on Suwanosejima (Japan) — 17 January-23 January 2001
Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report,
17 January-23 January 2001
Managing Editor: Gari Mayberry
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 2001. Report on Suwanosejima (Japan). In: Mayberry, G (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 17 January-23 January 2001. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.
29.638°N, 129.714°E; summit elev. 796 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
At ~1700 on 19 December 2000, a Suwanose-jima inhabitant reported "smoke" rising NE of the summit crater. During observations from a helicopter, ash-laden smoke and high-temperature gas emissions were seen emanating from new craters. The Sakura-jima Volcano Research Center observed an increase in volcanic earthquakes deeper than 1 km below the summit in comparison to Fall 1999. They also noted an increase in volcanic earthquakes and tremor shallower than 1 km in comparison to early 2000. Researchers will continue to closely monitor the volcano.
Geological Summary. The 8-km-long, spindle-shaped island of Suwanosejima in the northern Ryukyu Islands consists of an andesitic stratovolcano with two historically active summit craters. The summit is truncated by a large breached crater extending to the sea on the east flank that was formed by edifice collapse. Suwanosejima, one of Japan's most frequently active volcanoes, was in a state of intermittent strombolian activity from Otake, the NE summit crater, that began in 1949 and lasted until 1996, after which periods of inactivity lengthened. The largest historical eruption took place in 1813-14, when thick scoria deposits blanketed residential areas, and the SW crater produced two lava flows that reached the western coast. At the end of the eruption the summit of Otake collapsed forming a large debris avalanche and creating the horseshoe-shaped Sakuchi caldera, which extends to the eastern coast. The island remained uninhabited for about 70 years after the 1813-1814 eruption. Lava flows reached the eastern coast of the island in 1884. Only about 50 people live on the island.