Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador) — 25 January-31 January 2006
Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 25 January-31 January 2006
Managing Editor: Sally Kuhn Sennert
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 2006. Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador). In: Sennert, S K (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 25 January-31 January 2006. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.
1.467°S, 78.442°W; summit elev. 5023 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
During 25-31 January, volcanic activity at Tungurahua remained at low levels with small emissions of steam and gas, with low ash content. On the 25th light rain caused lahars to flow in the NW sector of the volcano. The lahars descended a gorge from the village of Juive, causing the closure of the Banos-Penipe highway. Around the 28th, ash fell in the village of Puela. On the 31st, a steam-and-ash plume rose ~1 km above the volcano (or 19,750 ft a.s.l.) and drifted W. A small lahar traveled in the sector of Pampas, closing a road in the area for 2 hours.
Geologic Background. Tungurahua, a steep-sided andesitic-dacitic stratovolcano that towers more than 3 km above its northern base, is one of Ecuador's most active volcanoes. Three major edifices have been sequentially constructed since the mid-Pleistocene over a basement of metamorphic rocks. Tungurahua II was built within the past 14,000 years following the collapse of the initial edifice. Tungurahua II itself collapsed about 3000 years ago and produced a large debris-avalanche deposit and a horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the west, inside which the modern glacier-capped stratovolcano (Tungurahua III) was constructed. Historical eruptions have all originated from the summit crater, accompanied by strong explosions and sometimes by pyroclastic flows and lava flows that reached populated areas at the volcano's base. Prior to a long-term eruption beginning in 1999 that caused the temporary evacuation of the city of Baños at the foot of the volcano, the last major eruption had occurred from 1916 to 1918, although minor activity continued until 1925.