Report on Langila (Papua New Guinea) — June 1981
Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, vol. 6, no. 6 (June 1981)
Managing Editor: Lindsay McClelland.
Langila (Papua New Guinea) Increased ash emissions, glow, lava fragments
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 1981. Report on Langila (Papua New Guinea). In: McClelland, L (ed.), Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, 6:6. Smithsonian Institution. http://dx.doi.org/10.5479/si.GVP.SEAN198106-252010.
Papua New Guinea
5.525°S, 148.42°E; summit elev. 1330 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
"A further intensification of activity took place in June. Moderate to strong white and brown emissions from Crater 2 were commonly seen. Ashfalls were reported on several days from locations about 10 km from the volcano. Rumbling and/or explosive sounds were heard on most days. Crater glow or ejections of incandescent lava fragments from Crater 2 were seen on five days in the second half of the month. Crater 3 was less active, commonly releasing white or blue vapours, but weak grey emissions were occasionally seen. Seismic activity strengthened considerably. Large-amplitude, multiple explosion-type earthquakes and prolonged periods of tremor clearly represented tephra explosions and bouts of gas venting at Crater 2."
Geologic Background. Langila, one of the most active volcanoes of New Britain, consists of a group of four small overlapping composite basaltic-andesitic cones on the lower eastern flank of the extinct Talawe volcano. Talawe is the highest volcano in the Cape Gloucester area of NW New Britain. A rectangular, 2.5-km-long crater is breached widely to the SE; Langila volcano was constructed NE of the breached crater of Talawe. An extensive lava field reaches the coast on the north and NE sides of Langila. Frequent mild-to-moderate explosive eruptions, sometimes accompanied by lava flows, have been recorded since the 19th century from three active craters at the summit of Langila. The youngest and smallest crater (no. 3 crater) was formed in 1960 and has a diameter of 150 m.
Information Contacts: C. McKee, RVO.