Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-02606
The prominent cone in the center of the photo was constructed during a series of eruptions from 1953 to 1968. Following the emission of four lobate lava flows from 1953 to 1960 that traveled up to 4.5 km from the vent, the cone grew to heights of 400-800 m above the sloping SW flank of Trident. A shallow, 250-m-wide crater caps the cone.
Copyrighted photo by Katia and Maurice Krafft, 1978.
Copyrighted image used with permission. All Rights Reserved. Contact photographer for any usage requests.