Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-05563
Cerro Quemado is seen here with Santa María towering directly behind it. An eruption of Cerro Quemado, part of the Almolonga lava dome complex, took place in 1818. The lava flow that forms the left-hand ridge of Cerro Quemado in this view from the NE was extruded from the east-central flank and traveled 2.5 km towards the towns of Zunil and Almolonga. Minor explosive eruptions accompanied the extrusion and produced ashfall on nearby hills.
Photo by Lee Siebert, 1993 (Smithsonian Institution).
This image is made available under the Public Domain Dedication CC0 license, but proper attribution is appreciated.