Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador) — 11 April-17 April 2012
Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report,
11 April-17 April 2012
Managing Editor: Sally Kuhn Sennert
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 2012. Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador). In: Sennert, S K (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 11 April-17 April 2012. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.
1.467°S, 78.442°W; summit elev. 5023 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
IG reported that during 11-15 April visual observations of Tungurahua were occasionally limited due to cloud cover. On 11 April an ash plume rose 5 km above the crater and drifted NE and SE. Ashfall was reported in areas 8 km SW. An explosion on 12 April was followed by ashfall in multiple areas including Ambato (31 km NW), Cusúa (8 km NW), and Bilbao (8 km W). A small ash plume drifted ESE on 13 April and steam plumes drifted SE during 13-14 April. Fumarolic activity in the crater was observed on 15 April.
Geological Summary. Tungurahua, a steep-sided andesitic-dacitic stratovolcano that towers more than 3 km above its northern base, is one of Ecuador's most active volcanoes. Three major edifices have been sequentially constructed since the mid-Pleistocene over a basement of metamorphic rocks. Tungurahua II was built within the past 14,000 years following the collapse of the initial edifice. Tungurahua II itself collapsed about 3000 years ago and produced a large debris-avalanche deposit and a horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the west, inside which the modern glacier-capped stratovolcano (Tungurahua III) was constructed. Historical eruptions have all originated from the summit crater, accompanied by strong explosions and sometimes by pyroclastic flows and lava flows that reached populated areas at the volcano's base. Prior to a long-term eruption beginning in 1999 that caused the temporary evacuation of the city of Baños at the foot of the volcano, the last major eruption had occurred from 1916 to 1918, although minor activity continued until 1925.