Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador) — 30 May-5 June 2012
Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report,
30 May-5 June 2012
Managing Editor: Sally Kuhn Sennert
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 2012. Report on Tungurahua (Ecuador). In: Sennert, S K (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 30 May-5 June 2012. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.
1.467°S, 78.442°W; summit elev. 5023 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
IG reported that during 30 May-5 June visual observations of Tungurahua were sometimes limited due to cloud cover. On 30 May gas-and-ash plumes rose from the crater and ash fell on the upper flanks. The next day gas-and-ash plumes rose 200 m above the crater and drifted W. On 3 June gas-and-ash plumes rose 100 m above the crater and an ash plume drifted NW. Lahars descended multiple drainages on the W flank. On 5 June ashfall was reported in Pondoa (8 km N), Juive (7 km NNW), Runtún (6 km NNE), Chacauco (NW), and Chontapamba (W), and steam emissions rose 1 km above the crater and drifted E.
Geological Summary. Tungurahua, a steep-sided andesitic-dacitic stratovolcano that towers more than 3 km above its northern base, is one of Ecuador's most active volcanoes. Three major edifices have been sequentially constructed since the mid-Pleistocene over a basement of metamorphic rocks. Tungurahua II was built within the past 14,000 years following the collapse of the initial edifice. Tungurahua II collapsed about 3,000 years ago and produced a large debris-avalanche deposit to the west. The modern glacier-capped stratovolcano (Tungurahua III) was constructed within the landslide scarp. Historical eruptions have all originated from the summit crater, accompanied by strong explosions and sometimes by pyroclastic flows and lava flows that reached populated areas at the volcano's base. Prior to a long-term eruption beginning in 1999 that caused the temporary evacuation of the city of Baños at the foot of the volcano, the last major eruption had occurred from 1916 to 1918, although minor activity continued until 1925.