Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-00011
The famous pillars of the Roman temple of Seraphis, in Pozzuoli, have served as unintended markers of periodic uplift of the Campi Flegrei caldera floor. Borings in the marble columns by marine organisms show that the location had sunk 11 m below sea level by 1000 CE and then rose 12 m by 1538, including rapid uplift of 4 m immediately prior to the 1538 eruption of Monte Nuovo. More recent periods of rapid uplift took place in 1970-72 and 1982-84.
Copyrighted photo by Katia and Maurice Krafft, 1988.
Copyrighted image used with permission. All Rights Reserved. Contact photographer for any usage requests.