Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-05047
Hydrothermally altered rocks are exposed over a wide area in the Sulphur Springs thermal area of Qualibou volcano. The thermal area, located in a valley SW of Terre Blanche lava dome, contains 11 hot pools, some of which occasionally produce small steam-driven fountains about 1-m high. Sulphur Springs was the site in 1766 of the only historical eruption of Qualibou. A small explosion deposited ash and cinders over a wide area.
Photo by Lee Siebert, 1991 (Smithsonian Institution).
This image is made available under the Public Domain Dedication CC0 license, but proper attribution is appreciated.