Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-06106
The eroded pyroclastic cone at the left, now forming the western tip of Fayal Island, was constructed during the 1957-58 Capelinhos eruption. Submarine eruptions formed an island that was later joined to the mainland, creating a 1-km-wide peninsula. Wave erosion soon truncated the sides of the new cone, forming the steep south-facing cliffs seen here. Beach erosion in the foreground exposes light-colored ashfall deposits from the eruption.
Photo by Rick Wunderman, 1997 (Smithsonian Institution).