Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-06109
Lagoa do Fogo ("Fire Lake") is seen here from the northwest caldera rim of Agua de Pau. A Plinian eruption from the central caldera began on 28 June 1563, depositing trachytic pumice predominantly eastward over the island. On 2 July an eruption began on the northwest flank, producing a lava flow that reached the northern coast at Ribeira Grande.
Photo by Rick Wunderman, 1997 (Smithsonian Institution).
This image is made available under the Public Domain Dedication CC0 license, but proper attribution is appreciated.