Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-07921
The two tiny islands in the center of Lake Ilopango barely visible above and slightly to the left of the house in the foreground are the Islas Quemadas. These are post-caldera dacitic lava domes that were emplaced December 31, 1879 to March 1880 during Ilopango's only historical eruption. A huge column of ash and incandescent rocks was erupted on January 20, and the dome breached the surface on January 23. It reached a height of 50 m above the lake surface before violent explosions March 5 destroyed most of the subaerial part of the dome.
Photo by Bill Rose, 1978 (Michigan Technological University).