Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-10050
El Playón scoria cone on the lower NW flank of Santa Ana formed during an eruption in 1658. The eruption began on 3 November 1658, producing ashfall in Comayagua and a lava flow (left) to the NE that surrounded the village of Nejapa. The lava flow in the foreground was emplaced in 1917 from a vent on the upper northern flank of San Salvador.
Photo by Lee Siebert, 2002 (Smithsonian Institution).
This image is made available under the Public Domain Dedication CC0 license, but proper attribution is appreciated.
Keywords: scoria cone | lava flow