Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-10055
Grass-covered San Marcelino cinder cone is seen from Cerro Chino on the SE flank of Santa Ana volcano. San Marcelino was formed during an eruption in 1722 and produced a lava flow that traveled 13 km to the east. The forested southern rim of Coatepeque caldera can be seen to the NE beyond and to the left of San Marcelino, and a small sliver of the surface of Lake Coatepeque is visible inside the caldera.
Photo by Lee Siebert, 2002 (Smithsonian Institution).