Report on Langila (Papua New Guinea) — July 1995
Bulletin of the Global Volcanism Network, vol. 20, no. 7 (July 1995)
Managing Editor: Richard Wunderman.
Langila (Papua New Guinea) Intermittent large explosions
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 1995. Report on Langila (Papua New Guinea) (Wunderman, R., ed.). Bulletin of the Global Volcanism Network, 20:7. Smithsonian Institution. https://doi.org/10.5479/si.GVP.BGVN199507-252010.
Papua New Guinea
5.525°S, 148.42°E; summit elev. 1330 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
Moderate eruptive activity continued at Crater 2 throughout July; intermittent large explosions alternated with weaker ash and vapor emissions. The larger explosions rose several hundred meters above the crater rim, dropping ash on the downwind (N-NW) side of the volcano. The sounds from these large explosions ranged from loud detonations to deep rumblings. Crater glow was observed on 1 and 16 July. Activity at Crater 3 remained very low, with only weak white vapor emissions. The seismograph was inoperable throughout the month.
Located on the N coast of western New Britain, Langila consists of four overlapping composite cones. These cones lie on the E side of the inactive Talawe volcano. An extensive lava field extends from the cones toward the coast. Langila is one of New Britain's most active volcanoes.
Geologic Background. Langila, one of the most active volcanoes of New Britain, consists of a group of four small overlapping composite basaltic-andesitic cones on the lower E flank of the extinct Talawe volcano in the Cape Gloucester area of NW New Britain. A rectangular, 2.5-km-long crater is breached widely to the SE; Langila was constructed NE of the breached crater of Talawe. An extensive lava field reaches the coast on the N and NE sides of Langila. Frequent mild-to-moderate explosive eruptions, sometimes accompanied by lava flows, have been recorded since the 19th century from three active craters at the summit. The youngest and smallest crater (no. 3 crater) was formed in 1960 and has a diameter of 150 m.
Information Contacts: Ben Talai, RVO.