Report on Langila (Papua New Guinea) — July 1981
Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, vol. 6, no. 7 (July 1981)
Managing Editor: Lindsay McClelland.
Langila (Papua New Guinea) Vulcanian explosions and glow continue; seismicity intensifies
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 1981. Report on Langila (Papua New Guinea) (McClelland, L., ed.). Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, 6:7. Smithsonian Institution. https://doi.org/10.5479/si.GVP.SEAN198107-252010
Papua New Guinea
5.525°S, 148.42°E; summit elev. 1330 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
"Vulcanian explosions occurred at Crater 2 throughout July. Explosion and rumbling sounds were heard at an observation post about 10 km N of Langila. Brief aerial inspections on 16 and 20 July revealed that eruptions at Crater 2 were taking place at intervals of about 10 minutes. The maximum height reached by the eruption clouds was probably about 300-400 m. Glow from Crater 2 was seen on four consecutive nights, 25-28 July. Crater 3 was less active, usually releasing white and blue vapours in small volumes, but grey emissions were occasionally seen.
"The overall level of seismic activity intensified near the end of July, but its character remained similar to that observed in June. Periods of strong tremor were generated by explosions and prolonged gas jetting at Crater 2."
Geological Summary. Langila, one of the most active volcanoes of New Britain, consists of a group of four small overlapping composite basaltic-andesitic cones on the lower E flank of the extinct Talawe volcano in the Cape Gloucester area of NW New Britain. A rectangular, 2.5-km-long crater is breached widely to the SE; Langila was constructed NE of the breached crater of Talawe. An extensive lava field reaches the coast on the N and NE sides of Langila. Frequent mild-to-moderate explosive eruptions, sometimes accompanied by lava flows, have been recorded since the 19th century from three active craters at the summit. The youngest and smallest crater (no. 3 crater) was formed in 1960 and has a diameter of 150 m.
Information Contacts: C. McKee, RVO.