Report on Etna (Italy) — February 1986
Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, vol. 11, no. 2 (February 1986)
Managing Editor: Lindsay McClelland.
Etna (Italy) Ash and bombs from Northeast Crater
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 1986. Report on Etna (Italy) (McClelland, L., ed.). Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, 11:2. Smithsonian Institution. https://doi.org/10.5479/si.GVP.SEAN198602-211060
37.748°N, 14.999°E; summit elev. 3357 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
While spending the night of 5 March at the foot of Northeast Crater, geologists observed ash emission every 5-15 minutes with ejection of glowing red bombs 6-7 times/hour. Bombs reached the base of the crater. Significant degassing occurred from both of the central craters (The Chasm and Bocca Nuova). However, there were no explosions, nor was glow visible at night.
Geological Summary. Mount Etna, towering above Catania on the island of Sicily, has one of the world's longest documented records of volcanism, dating back to 1500 BCE. Historical lava flows of basaltic composition cover much of the surface of this massive volcano, whose edifice is the highest and most voluminous in Italy. The Mongibello stratovolcano, truncated by several small calderas, was constructed during the late Pleistocene and Holocene over an older shield volcano. The most prominent morphological feature of Etna is the Valle del Bove, a 5 x 10 km caldera open to the east. Two styles of eruptive activity typically occur, sometimes simultaneously. Persistent explosive eruptions, sometimes with minor lava emissions, take place from one or more summit craters. Flank vents, typically with higher effusion rates, are less frequently active and originate from fissures that open progressively downward from near the summit (usually accompanied by Strombolian eruptions at the upper end). Cinder cones are commonly constructed over the vents of lower-flank lava flows. Lava flows extend to the foot of the volcano on all sides and have reached the sea over a broad area on the SE flank.
Information Contacts: F. LeGuern, CNRS; Compagnie Republicaine de Securité de Briancan.