Report on Chikurachki (Russia) — April 1987
Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, vol. 12, no. 4 (April 1987)
Managing Editor: Lindsay McClelland.
Chikurachki (Russia) Fumarolic activity observed
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 1987. Report on Chikurachki (Russia) (McClelland, L., ed.). Scientific Event Alert Network Bulletin, 12:4. Smithsonian Institution. https://doi.org/10.5479/si.GVP.SEAN198704-290360
50.324°N, 155.461°E; summit elev. 1781 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
The 19 November ash and lava eruption was preceded by increased fumarolic activity seen during overflights on 12 and 14 November. Intense vapor and gas emission occurred from much of the upper volcano, obscuring the crater. Pyroclastic flows on the upper slopes were covered with snow but those near the foot of the volcano were snow-free. No explosions were noted.
Geological Summary. Chikurachki, the highest volcano on Paramushir Island in the northern Kuriles, is a relatively small cone constructed on a high Pleistocene edifice. Oxidized basaltic-to-andesitic scoria deposits covering the upper part of the young cone give it a distinctive red color. Frequent basaltic Plinian eruptions have occurred during the Holocene. Lava flows have reached the sea and formed capes on the NW coast; several young lava flows are also present on the E flank beneath a scoria deposit. The Tatarinov group of six volcanic centers is located immediately to the south, and the Lomonosov cinder cone group, the source of an early Holocene lava flow that reached the saddle between it and Fuss Peak to the west, lies at the southern end of the N-S-trending Chikurachki-Tatarinov complex. In contrast to the frequently active Chikurachki, the Tatarinov centers are extensively modified by erosion and have a more complex structure. Tephrochronology gives evidence of an eruption around 1690 CE from Tatarinov, although its southern cone contains a sulfur-encrusted crater with fumaroles that were active along the margin of a crater lake until 1959.
Information Contacts: G. Steinberg and B. Piskunov, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.