Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-03729
The tower of the unfinished San Juan Parangaricutiro church rises above lava flows from Parícutin that surrounded it in 1944. The Taquí lava flow began on January 8, 1944, from the SW base of Parícutin. Renewed effusion on April 24 produced lava tongues that threatened the town of San Juan Parangaricutiro and, by June 17, invaded it. The church was surrounded by lava in July. By the time the flow ceased movement in early August it had a length of 10 km.
Photo by James Allan, 1985 (Smithsonian Institution).