Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-03754
On 7 July 1944 a lava flow (left) approaches the church of San Juan Parangaricutiro. Residents had already evacuated the town when lava first entered the town on 17 June. By the time the flow stopped in early August the church was entirely surrounded by lava.
Photo by William Foshag, 1943 (Smithsonian Institution, published in Luhr and Simkin, 1993).
This image is made available under the Public Domain Dedication CC0 license, but proper attribution is appreciated.