Report on Chikurachki (Russia) — 23 March-29 March 2016
Smithsonian / US Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report,
23 March-29 March 2016
Managing Editor: Sally Kuhn Sennert
Please cite this report as:
Global Volcanism Program, 2016. Report on Chikurachki (Russia). In: Sennert, S K (ed.), Weekly Volcanic Activity Report, 23 March-29 March 2016. Smithsonian Institution and US Geological Survey.
50.324°N, 155.461°E; summit elev. 1781 m
All times are local (unless otherwise noted)
KVERT reported that at 1259 on 29 March an ash plume from Chikurachki was observed in satellite images rising to an altitude of 3 km (10,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifting about 50 km NE. The Aviation Color Code was raised to Orange. By 0852 on 30 March the ash plume was drifting 87 km S. Chikurachki is not monitored with seismic instruments but is observed using ground-based methods and satellite images.
Geological Summary. Chikurachki, the highest volcano on Paramushir Island in the northern Kuriles, is a relatively small cone constructed on a high Pleistocene edifice. Oxidized basaltic-to-andesitic scoria deposits covering the upper part of the young cone give it a distinctive red color. Frequent basaltic Plinian eruptions have occurred during the Holocene. Lava flows have reached the sea and formed capes on the NW coast; several young lava flows are also present on the E flank beneath a scoria deposit. The Tatarinov group of six volcanic centers is located immediately to the south, and the Lomonosov cinder cone group, the source of an early Holocene lava flow that reached the saddle between it and Fuss Peak to the west, lies at the southern end of the N-S-trending Chikurachki-Tatarinov complex. In contrast to the frequently active Chikurachki, the Tatarinov centers are extensively modified by erosion and have a more complex structure. Tephrochronology gives evidence of an eruption around 1690 CE from Tatarinov, although its southern cone contains a sulfur-encrusted crater with fumaroles that were active along the margin of a crater lake until 1959.