Global Volcanism Program | Image GVP-05942
The small light-colored spire in the center of the photo is the renowned steeple of the church of San Juan Parangaricutiro, which was surrounded by lava flows from Parícutin volcano in 1944 in this view from the NE. The steep-sided, viscous lava flows in the background were erupted later, during 1944-46. This is one of numerous lava flows within the Michoacan-Guanajuato volcanic field.
Photo by Jim Luhr, 1997 (Smithsonian Institution).
This image is made available under the Public Domain Dedication CC0 license, but proper attribution is appreciated.
Galleries: Human Impacts